Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CATHERINE'S CHURCH, KINGS ROAD, CANTON

Site Details



NPRN 14269

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1680776952

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Riverside

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Catherin'es is located on the west side of King Street, Canton. It was first built in 1883-6, architect, J. Prichard. He did only the first three bays of the nave (his cruciform plan having proved over-ambitious); Kempson and Fowler added the chancel with the south chapel and north vestry in 1892-3 (foundation stone 1892), and G. E. Halliday added the two bays of the west end in 1897.
The church is faced in thin courses of dark brown Pontypridd stone rubble with Bath stone ashlar dressings, and is roofed in Welsh slate. The plan comprises five-bay nave and chancel, side aisles and nave all with separate gabled roofs; Lady Chapel at east end of south aisle; chancel projecting forward beyond north vestry and lady chapel; and gabled porch in centre of south aisle.
Inside, the aisles are wide, their walls of yellow brick with red and black brick bands and voussoirs. Arcades of timber are carried on slender piers of quatrefoil plan with moulded caps and bases. There is a richly carved reredos in Portland stone and alabaster, and much stained glass.
Source: extracts from Cadw Listing description.

RCAHMW, 2 December 2014