Map Reference SS97NW
Grid Reference SS91247779
Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan
Old County Glamorgan
Type of Site PRIORY
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Site Description Located on the southern bank of the River Ewenny, a Welsh foundation on this site probably preceded the Norman Conquest of Glamorgan. During the time of Bishop Urban of Llandaff (1107-34) William de Londres, who was established at Ogmore as early as 1116, built a church here and presented it to the Abbey of Gloucester.
The church and conventual buildings lay within a walled enclosure measuring 173m by 118m. The presbytery, central tower and the south transept of the church remain together with the nave and the rebuilt north aisle. The north transept and the chapels flanking the presbytery have been destroyed. The site of the conventual building is partly occupied by the modern house which incorporates some medieval walling. Parts of the enclosure wall are derelict.
RCAHMW, February 2011