Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, TONGWYNLAIS

Site Details



NPRN 14350

Map Reference ST18SW

Grid Reference ST1333382179

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Tongwynlais

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Michael's church is a small Gothic Revival parish church in early Decorated style located on the east side of Merthyr Road (A4504) in the centre of the village. It was built in 1875-7 to designs of architect John Pritchard of Llandaff and is constructed of coursed and snecked tooled grey and red sandstone with pale ashlar dressings, and Welsh slate roof with corbel table and cruciform finials. Its plan comprises nave with west bellcote, gabled south porch, lower and narrower chancel, large north-east vestry with single-pitched roof, and later hall wing.
The interior is rendered with some exposed ashlar dressings under a barrel roof with moulded ridge beam and boarded ceiling of four bays. Fittings include very plain cylindrical pulpit and font, finely carved chancel screen in Perpendicular style, and panelled altar and reredos incorporating shields.

Source:
extracts from Cadw Listing description.

RCAHMW, 21 January 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records