Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CEFN HENGOED MISSION CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 14388

Map Reference ST19NW

Grid Reference ST14639621

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Glamorgan

Community Gelligaer

Type of Site MISSION CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description A cottage Sunday School was established in Cefn Hengoed in 1931 (at what is now 30 Gelligaer Road) by which time, due to the increase in local industries and the local colliery of Penallta, had grown from being a small hamlet to the size of a village. Services continued to take place in the "House Church" for about the next seven years. With the growth in membership more suitable premises were needed. Land was acquired opposite Derwendeg Primary School adjacent to Carn Gethin Farm for the purpose of building a new church and a church hall, with a modest dwelling to house a Curate also envisaged. With a grant from the Incorporated Church Building Society and donations from other bodies, building work commenced. The foundation stone was laid
on Wednesday, 31st May 1939 at 4.30pm by the Church Wardens at St. Catwg's Church in Gelligaer,at a service attended by the architects and builders (Gittins Builders). The church at this time was called Cefn Hengoed Mission Church. Additional funding to complete the building was raised from the community through a 'Buy a Brick' scheme whereby squares, representing the bricks of the new Church were sold weekly. From the outset the church was a multi-purpose building, the Altar and Reredos enclosed in an alcove behind a set of doors which were opened for worship but could be closed to allow other functions to take place. The Mission Church received ministerial support from a series of Church Army 'Sisters' after one of whom the church later became known as St. Anne's Church.
Source: http://www.parishofgelligaer.org.uk/Pages/st%20anne%27s.htm

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 4 December 2014