Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GWLADYS' CHURCH, BARGOED

Site Details



NPRN 14391

Map Reference ST19NE

Grid Reference ST1502999991

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Glamorgan

Community Bargoed

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Gwladys is located on a steeply-sloping site on the east side of Church Place, Bargoed. It was built in two stages: first to designs of J.Pritchard (the chancel at the downhill end) in 1877-9 and second to designs of E.M.Bruce Vaughan (north vestry) in 1893-4. The contrasting use of the local Pennant sandstone by both architects can be well studied here, with the chancel arch obviously the work of Pritchard. Stained glass includes work by R.J.Newbery.
Source: J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.144.

RCAHMW, 17 December 2014

Archive Records