Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 14420

Map Reference ST27NW

Grid Reference ST2014576720

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Splott

Type of Site CHURCH


Period 19th Century

Site Description St Saviour's is located on the corner of Splott Street and Carlisle Street, set back from Splott Road, behind railed forecourt with war memorial cross.
The church was built in 1887-8 in lancet style to designs of G.F.Bodley and T.Garner, architects. Influenced (or limited) by the design of the fifteenth-century church of St Mary's, Tenby (but without spire). The south aisle was added 1894. Restoration by George Pace in 1961 included the subdivision of the nave into a hall. But the church is a largely unaltered example of work of Bodley, one of most important nineteenth-century church architects. It is built of pink-grey, rock-faced Sweldon stone with bathstone dressings (particularly in the ashlar facing of the buttresses), and slate roofs. It comprises three-gabled nave and aisles, running into three-gabled chancel and chapels, but without the tower of St Mary's - and so giving a spread, earthbound appearance to the building.
Inside, the nave is of five bays, the chancel of three bays, and of similar height. The boarded wagon roofs are painted to nave and aisles. The high altar is approached by a flight of steps with wooden reredos and doorways to vestry behind. Fittings include a painted wooden screen to the south aisle chapel which has altar with angels on flanking shafts and an octagonal stone font. There is also stained glass some dating from as recently as 1963.

Sources: extracts from Cadw Listing database; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.312.

RCAHMW, 4 December 2014