Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS CHURCH, KERRY

Site Details



NPRN 146164

Map Reference SO19SW

Grid Reference SO1471790101

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Kerry

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Michael’s church is situated in Kerry, some three miles to the south-east of Newtown. St Michael’s is a double-naved structure which includes a large tower to the west of the church. The arcade survives from the original Norman church, with the initial building project is dated to 1176. The chancel arcade and the tower is dated from the 14th Century, and is found in the typical Montgomeryshire style which includes a timber framed belfry. Also in place are the 14th Century roofs, a bell that is dated to 1410 and a chest and a small number of monuments from the 18th Century. Outside of the main building, the churchyard is described as a polygonal enclosure and is set overlooking the valley of the River Mule. A sundial can be found in the church yard. A major rebuilding project took place in 1882-83, while large restoration work was undertaken on the tower in 1924 due to the stair turret being in danger of collapse, the walls were in need of urgent re-pointing and repair and the oak timber reframing needed improvements. The roof was re-slated and louvers were inserted in the windows. More recent work included the 1960 removal of a coke-fired boiler and the installation of an electric heating system. Further restoration work in 1993/94 was necessitated by storm damage: some of the oak timbers were replaced by steel girders and the slate roof was repaired.

M. Lloyd Davies, RCAHMW, 02 December 2008

[ADDITIONAL:] The church tower was tree-ring dated by RCAHMW as part of the national dendrochronological project, and the results reported in Vernacular Architecture 42 (2011):

x. KERRY, Parish Church (SO 1471 9010)
(a) Bell chamber wall frame Felling date: Winter 1525/6
(b) Clock Chamber ceiling beams Felling dates: Winter 1567/8

Kerry has a stone-built church tower with a timber capping characteristic of many Border churches. The buttressed stone-built tower is probably C13th but the bell-stage was modified twice in the C16th. Tree-ring dating established that the two-tier timber-framed bell-stage (a) was built in Winter 1525/6. The bell-chamber floor (b) was found to have been renewed in 1567/8 with very large and closely set beams, presumably to support the weight of a heavy bell-frame. The roof-trusses of the church were not sampled. Description of the church in Richard Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys (1979), pp.112-14. Dating commissioned by RCAHMW. (R.F. SUGGETT/RCAHMW/JULY 2011)

Digital Images

Archive Records