Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST AUGUSTINES CHURCH, PENARTH

Site Details



NPRN 157

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST18847204

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Penarth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Augustine's Church was built in 1865-66 to a design by William Butterfield. Set in an oval churchyard, the church represents the most ambitious work of Butterfield in Wales and is Victorian Gothic in Early English style with a distinctive four-storey saddleback tower that incorporates a triple arcade on the lower storey.

The church also includes a chancel with a southern transept and a northern vestry. The aisled nave has a tower on the south-west and a porch to the north-west. It is constructed with Leckwith limestone facing, bathstone dressings, and red Staffordshire tiles on the roof. There are polychrome brick patterns and bathstone dressings on red brick facing in the interior. The interior decorative features include brass altar rails, chequered marble reredos, and a patterned tiled floor. Fully diapered arcades of chamfered arches supported by alternating octagonal and cylindrical piers.

RCAHMW, February 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites