Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

RHUDDLAN FRIARY (DOMINICAN);ABBEY FARM

Site Details


NPRN 157155

Map Reference SJ07NW

Grid Reference SJ02917750

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Rhuddlan

Type of Site FRIARY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description Dominican Friary, Rhuddlan, founded in or before 1258, dissolved 1538.

Possible fragments of S claustral range are incorporated in the S range of the farmyard, the church having apparently occupied the site of the current farmhouse: prior to recent developement, the farmyard may have respected the monastic cloister, being c.26-28m square; much material from the Friary fabric, including an effigy, is re-used in the farm buildings (Nprn36156).
The Friary can be associated with the earlier settlement (Nprn303586), as well as with the Edwardian borough (Nprn15238), & is set within an extensive rectilinear earthwork enclosure (Nprn306672).

(source OS495 card; SJ07NW4)

RCAHMW AP965068/45-6, 52

J. Wiles 10.10.2002

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites