Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST AELHAIRN'S CHURCH; ST AELHAIARN'S; GUILSFIELD PARISH CHURCH, GUILSFIELD

Site Details



NPRN 163185

Map Reference SJ21SW

Grid Reference SJ2192511653

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Guilsfield

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description The site of St. Aelhaiarn’s Church appears to be of early medieval origin, and is believed to have been founded by St. Aelhaiarn in the sixth century. Much of the visible church standing on the site today dates to the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, but the core is of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The church comprises early tower and nave, later aisles, large south porch and tall chancel, which contains 240 carved wooden panels with a variety of interlaced circles, triangles and quartrefoils. The roof, with cambered tiles and cusped windbraces, is of late medieval date, and may have been constructed at the same time as the crenellated parapet. The church exterior is constructed from mixed sandstone.
Thorough restoration work was carried out by G.E. Street in 1877-9, in which many of the original features of the building were swept away, but the church does nonetheless retain some early points of interest, most particularly the octagonal twelfth century font with four large masks, and various medieval windows and doors. In the vestry is a restored chest dating to the seventeenth century, hewn from a single piece of wood; the spiral staircase is also from that period. The nineteenth century pulpit, screen and pews are of an extremely high quality and well preserved.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 24 November 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites