Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DYFNOG'S CHURCH, LLANRHAEADR-YNG-NGHINMEIRCH

Site Details


NPRN 165239

Map Reference SJ06SE

Grid Reference SJ08166337

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llanrhaeadr-yng-nghinmeirch

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Dyfnog's church, Llanrhaedr-yng-Nghinmeirch, was first mentioned in the thirteenth century. Alterations were made in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries and restorations in the nineteenth century. The church is constructed of locally produced limestone rubble with red and buff sandstone dressings and has a slate roof. It is of double nave design with a battlemented square west tower and two bay porch. There are exceptionally fine fifteenth and sixteenth century roofs to both chambers of the nave. The north chamber retains the famous 'Jesse window' depicting the Tree of Jesse, dated 1533, and fragments of early sixteenth century stained glass.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 8 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites