Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST ILLTYD'S; ST ILLTUDS CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 171

Map Reference SS96NE

Grid Reference SS96626872

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Llantwit Major

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Illtyd's is a complex medieval church with twelfth century origins. The church is split into four main parts -the first lies to the far west and is a ruined structure, perhaps a former chapel. The chancel and an aisled nave with an early thirteenth century tower form the second and third parts whilst a long aisle-less structure to the west known as the 'Western Church' forms the fourth. The eastern section of the church, comprising the nave and chancel, is in Early English style - particularly noticable in the windows. There are the remains of piscinas in the north and south aisles and restored medieval murals. The circular Norman font has a scale design. The 'Western Church' houses a number of ninth and tenth century crosses associated with the monastic foundation at Llantwit Major. Restorations were carried out in 1889 and 1905, and a major refurbishment was undertaken in the mid to late twentieth century.

source CADW listed buildings database; additional information from Pevsner, 'Glamorgan', 1995, pp. 406-9

J Hill, RCAHMW 3 October 2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources