GREAT HOUSE;TY MAWR, HIGH STREET, LLANTWIT MAJOR
Map Reference SS96NE
Grid Reference SS9669269221
Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan
Old County Glamorgan
Community Llantwit Major
Type of Site MANSION
Broad Class Domestic
Period Post Medieval
Site Description 1. An apparently 16th-17th c. mansion, rubble-built, two-three storeys, end and side gables (in main E-W block), with stone mullioned windows and square rubble stacks.
The house incorporates possible 14th-15th c. elements. Renovated from a roofless ruin, 1950 onwards.
The N wing is in use as a barn (nprn307468).
(source Os495card; SS96NE26)
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 18.12.2002.
2. Late C16 house, possibly incorporating earlier structure. The kitchen wing was extended by a further room at some period, repaired in c1915, possibly by G E Halliday, restoration c1950 after being unoccupied and then becoming derelict post First World War. A number of features, particularly windows, were replaced at this time. 'Great House has many finely detailed dressed stone features cut from both Sutton stone and sandstone. It was latterly the home of the Nicholl family although it is not certain whether they were the builders of the house; the house was somewhat remodelled in 1915 and again in the late 1940s at which time it was derelict.' (RCAHMW)
Built of local limestone, roughly squared and coursed stone with quoins and relieving arches, possibly once plastered. Welsh slate roofs with roll moulded coping to gables and stone stacks. It is a three storey rectangular block in the centre with two conjoined gables with stacks towards the south-east and north-west, and one gable with stack to the south-west.
The south-east and north-east elevations have two-storey wings built against them and there is a long outbuilding against north-west elevation. Two, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows with dripstones (many repaired and replaced), dripmoulds and relieving arches over They have leaded glazing, and are all post 1952.
The left hand gable of south-east elevation has 4-light window to ground and first floors and 3-light window to attic. The north-east gable has a lower parlour wing of two storeys built against it, with a four-centred arched doorway with dripstone at north-west end. This has a C20 door with three vertical panels, and a 2 and a 3-light window to south of it. There is an external stone chimney breast and stack to south-east gable, 2-light window behind on upper floor. South-west elevation with 3-light window to both first and attic floors. Right hand gable of north-west elevation has 3-light ground floor window and slit windows to first and attic storeys.
North-east gable of this elevation has the end of a long outbuilding wing against it. South-west wall of outbuilding is stone rubble and it has a slate roof, doorway with stone voussoirs near centre, with wooden boarded door but also partly blocked. ventilator slit to right hand above; loft opening to left hand. Lean-to at north-west end.
The courtyard elevation shows some alterations to the stable wing. This has rows of pigeon holes and a concrete block lean-to. The kitchen wing also has some alterations and a rooflight. Late C20 gabled entrance porch in angle.
'A house of cruciform plan based on the chimney-backing-on-the-entry type of plan. However, the large hall and chamber over it, at the centre of the plan, both have two fireplaces in opposing walls. There is a kitchen in a rear wing which has been extended to the W. by the addition of a vaulted service unit. The N. wing that appears to have housed a stable unit has a line of dove-holes along the W. wall at first floor level. The S. wing is largely rebuilt and the central stair is a later insertion.' (RCAMHW)
(Source;RCAHMW, Glamorgan, Vol IV, Part 2, Farmhouses and Cottages, Cadw listing database)
S Fielding RCAHMW 12/12/2005