1. 18th - 19th century mansion. Military gothic. 3 storey centre with 3 storey porch. 2 storey side units. Battlemented. Stone mullions. Turrets. Crown property.
2. Late C17th/earlyC18th origins but remodelled circa 1735. Greatly extended, probably between 1790 and 1815. Final remodelling of 1840. Stone construction with slate roof. Comprises a 2 and 3-storey main block at S end, square inner courtyard to the middle with 2-storey ranges, and a further, outer courtyard to N end with single storey ranges. Crenellations to all main elevations and towers. Projecting tower to central block. Slender towers to the ends of the main block. Similar towers to rear wings. Further towers, including a 2-storey gatehouse tower to E side. Panelled ceilings, including an impressive C17 ceiling to inner hall . Fine early Georgian main staircase with barley-twist balusters. The house retains some good C18 fabric of national importance in the development of gothic style.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 22.10.2003