Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHURCH OF SAINTS MARCELLUS AND MARCELLINUS, LLANDEUSANT, ANGLESEY

Site Details



NPRN 197

Map Reference SH38NW

Grid Reference SH3456585273

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Tref Alaw

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description The church of saints Marcellus and Marcellinus is a nineteenth-century build on a medieval foundation, completely rebuilt in 1868. It is situated on the north side of the road through the village in a rectangular church yard used as a cemetery. The church was built to designs of a local amateur architect Goronwy Roberts. Constructed of greenish stone rubble with trefoiled windows, it consists of nave and narrower chancel, south-west tower-porch with pyramidal roof, and gabled north-east vestry. The twelfth-century font came from the old church. It is a circular bowl with a slight taper decorated with blank arcading. Holes arranged geometrically in each arch were probably for inserting a meatl or stone ornament.
Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voeleker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.144.
Google Street View, August 2009.

RCAHMW, 8 January 2016



J Hill, RCAHMW, 29 January 2004

Digital Images

Archive Records