Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CYNGAR'S CHURCH, LLANGEFNI

Site Details



NPRN 201

Map Reference SH47NE

Grid Reference SH4580375927

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llangefni

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Cyngar's church is located in an elevated position at the north end of Llangefni, set back from the north-west side of the B5111. The present church was built in 1824 to replace the old church demolished in the same year. Later renovations added to the church: the vestry in 1858 and the chancel in 1889, and included some work by architect Henry Kennedy (1857-9). A stone Perpendicular lych-gate by R.Grierson was added in 1890.
The church was built in a Georgian Gothic style in local, roughly dressed, coursed masonry with sandstone dressings, and slate roof with stone gable apex crosses. It consists of three-bay nave and west tower with porch, short and narrower Perpendicular chancel and gabled north-west vestry, and is articulated by angle and diagonal buttresses. The tower is of four stages with the church entrance in the west wall of the lower stage, belfry housed in the upper stage, and surmounted by an embattled parapet with pyramidal pinnacle at each corner. The nave is lit through pointed-arched windows, one with Y-tracery, while the chancel has pointed-arched Perpendicular windows with panel tracery in the south and east faces. Inside, the wide nave, with organ gallery at the west end, has an enclosed, cambered, plastered ceiling of seven roof bays, articulated by plain braces on shaped corbels. The chancel has a similarly detailed ceiling with cusped braces and wallposts down to shaped corbels. Both chancel and sanctuary are raised by two steps and are floored with encaustic tiles. Fittings and furnishings include the reredos of recessed timber panels, some with cusped tracery at the heads; an octagonal nineteenth-century font to the west end of the nave (beneath the organ gallery), with a cross carved in a rectagular recess in the north face, set on an octagonal shaft with chamfered angles and a roll-moulded base; and the octagonal pulpit, facing panels recessed with cusped tracery at the heads under an advanced moulded cornice. There is also a twelfth-century font with elongated with chevron rim, now disued in the tower, a fifth-century inscribed stone in the porch, and several eighteenth-century monuments.
Note: the church is annotated on early editions of local Ordnance Survey mapping as 'St. Mary's Church'; this would appear to be an error as there is no reference to the church ever having been named thus. By the third (1920) and subsequent editions the church is annotated 'St. Cyngar's Church'.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.180.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1738490

RCAHMW, 22 January 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records