Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST RHWYDRUS CHURCH

Site Details


NPRN 205

Map Reference SH39SW

Grid Reference SH32219322

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Cylch-y-garn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description a. The church was orinally built in the C12, but only the nave survives from this period. The chancel was extended in the C13, with sections rebuilt in the C15. The North chapel is of uncertain date. Of particular interest is the C12 doorway to the nave, with plain jambs and a round head with rough, undressed voussoirs, and the chancel roof, which is of three bays with two crutch trusses, each with an arch-braced collar.
(Source: RCAHMW Inventory, 1937 [1960 reprint], p. 108)
J Hill 29/01/2004

b. Simple rural church, largely early Medieval but with Perpendicular detail; short nave and long chancel stepped down, with N chapel. Built of local rubble masonry with freestone dressings; modern slate roof with wide stone coping, W gable bellcote. Nave of 2 bays with entry to the church through a narrow round-headed C12 doorway with rough voussoir arch over advanced springing course to SW. Windows are a mix of small camber-headed leaded lights, pointed-arched windows of 2 lights and plain panel tracery, narrow leaded lights and the E window is also a pointed arched window of 2 lights, with cusped panel tracery. The bell is said (by RCAHM) to be inscribed with the initials, names and dates: W L R W 1721 LLANRYDWRYS / R WIGGAN A LUKE FECIT / ASHTON WRXAM.
Main entrance leads into a vestibule formed by a screen directly below the gallery at the W end of the nave. Directly opposite the entrance is a large plain cylindrical C12 font, there are stone shelves along the inner walls and wooden steps lead up to the gallery in the SW corner. The gallery is supported on a wide chamfered beam and exposed joists. Entry to the church is through a doorway to the N end of a beaded, boarded partition. Nave of 2 roof bays, the chancel 3 roof bays; divided by C13 pointed-arch with square responds and plain imposts. The roof timbers are exposed, the nave and chancel have braced and collared C13 crucks, that to the E end with N blade exposed when the N chapel was constructed. The bay over the chancel has a panelled roof with diagonally set tongue and groove panelling between chamfered dividers; intersections with Tudor flower bosses. Above the E cruck collar there is splayed panelling above a Tudor flower, this encloses the chancel roof at its W end. The N chapel is of a single roof bay, with C19 collared truss and purlins with beaded angles. The fittings are of pitch pine, at the W end of the nave the gallery front has a moulded rail on shaped baluster, below which is a shaped frieze bearing the inscription and date (above). Set in the base of the S wall is a late C18th
gravestone and there is an early C19 slate memorial on S wall of the nave. Listed as an early Medieval church in characteristically isolated location. The building is unusual for its cruck construction, and retains simple fitting including a rare C18 west gallery.
Source: Survey of Anglesey for the National Trust (2004) Peter Muckle.
John Latham RCAHMW 25 July 2017

Digital Images

Archive Records