Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SS AFRAN, IEUAN AND SANNAU, LLANTRISANT (OLD CHURCH)

Site Details



NPRN 207

Map Reference SH38SW

Grid Reference SH3494984061

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Tref Alaw

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description NAR SH38SW7

A medieval parish church mentioned as 'Ecclesia de Clansann' in 1254. The present building is thought to be fourteenth century although it retains few, if any original features. It was much altered in the seventeenth century, when the south chapel was added, and greatly restored in the (?)nineteenth century.
A new church was built at what is now Llantrisant in 1899 and by 1937 the old church was described as being in poor condition and little used. By 1970 the roof had collapsed. The church was restored in 1976-7.
The church consists of a continuous nave and chancel with an added south chapel. The common north wall is relatively modern, but other walls show original fabric. The south door and east window are thought to be fifteenth century.
The fittings are eighteenth century and there are seventeenth century memorials. The font is twelfth century.

Source: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 113-4
CADW Listed Buildings Database (5314)

John Wiles 16.07.07


WALLPAINTING
N. wall of nave - Decalogue on framed boards, 18th C. Extant 1936 - church derelict by 1972 [AJP'72].
Refs: Inv.114.
Source: RCAHMW Wallpaintings database. 2004.09.08/RCAHMW/SLE

Digital Images

Archive Records