PRIORY (HOUSE), USK; USK PRIORY (BENEDICTINE NUNS)
Map Reference SO30SE
Grid Reference SO37910077
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site MANSION
Broad Class Domestic
Period Post Medieval
Site Description The central range of the present house of Priory, Usk, shows some original 16th century stone mullion windows with stone bearing arches, possibly representing the southern claustral range of the Benedictine Priory, founded in about 1135, and dissolved 1536. Wings to east and south are 19th century additions, contemporary with a major reconstruction of the central range.
Other surviving elements of the medieval priory (for Benedictine nuns) are the church (Nprn222262) and gatehouse (Nprn20702), whilst something of the precinct appears to have been perpetuated in the modern streets and property boundaries.
(source Os495card; SO30SE32.3)
RCAHMW AP94-CS 0409