Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST. JAMES SQUARE, HOUSE IN;ST. JAMES SQUARE - GARAGE;3, ST JAMES MEWS

Site Details



NPRN 20781

Map Reference SO51SW

Grid Reference SO5102012950

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Monmouth

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description This building has its origins as an early C16 town house; remodelled c.1700 and later refronted; further alterations in at least two periods in C19. The building was formerly the Labour in Vain PH and later in the C18 it was known as Somerset House (owned by Duke of Beaufort). Before 1835 (John Wood's Map of 1835) it became used as the Judges' Lodging for the Monmouth Assizes and then in the 1870s the building was used as an officer's mess by the local militia, becoming a private house again afterwards. The left hand end by this time became a coach-builder's workshop (first Hodges and then in, 1867, John Morgan) and in 1926 the whole building was taken over as a repair garage-an early Welsh example. In c2000 it was reconverted to domestic use as a part of the St. James's Mews development and divided into two properties.
(Source: Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 25/10/06

Archive Records