Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TAL-Y-COED COURT, TAL-Y-COED, LLANTILIO CROSSENNY

Site Details



NPRN 20877

Map Reference SO41NW

Grid Reference SO4213015210

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Llantilio Crossenny

Type of Site COUNTRY HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1881-2, partly incorporating old Llanfihangel Hall. Designed by F.R. Kempson for Sir Joseph Bradney. Queen Anne style.

This ia a substantial late C19 mansion. Brick with ashlar dressings and moulded brick plinth. Steeply pitched hipped slate roof. Tall brick chimneystacks (one central and end-stacks to N and S) have recessed panels with ogee heads and moulded brick caps. Symmetrical 5-bay W front is two-storey with attic and basement. Attic has three tall pedimented dormers with 4+4 panes above transom, and 6+6 pane windows below, with 4 panes in each cheek. Heavily moulded eaves. Continuous sill band at first-floor level has ogee aprons below sills. Segmental brick arched window-heads have stone hoodmoulds and fluted keystones. On first floor is big centre tri-partite window with flat head: middle window has 12-pane lower sash and arched fenestration to upper sash, flanked each side by narrow 5-pane marginal sashes. Flanking tri-partite window on first floor are two 12-pane horned sashes on each side. On ground floor, stone steps rise to central entrance doorway. Above the lugged stone architrave of doorcase, is a stone panel with carved foliated ornament and shield bearing date 1882 (letters `JB' now eroded). Above panel is segmental pediment supported on consoles; 5- panel oak door. Flanking the entrance are an 8-pane sashes, and two 12-pane horned sashes on each side. Set-back to left of main house is large, two storey former library wing. Hipped slate roof has lower roof-line and tall off-centre ridge stack with moulded brick cap. First floor has five 12-pane sash windows with segmental-arched brick heads. Ground floor has central entrance doorway, with C20 gabled brick porch, and oak door with geometrical panels and 3-pane overlight. Flanking the doorway on each side are an 8-pane and two 12-pane sashes. Below window (left) is a foundation stone laid in 1893 by John Harford Bradney.

Side elevation of main house has 7-bay lean-to verandah with corrugated metal roof. Slender wooden columns support glazed panels, with tracery in style of Aesthetic Movement. Above verandah, on first floor, is small centre C20 4-pane window flanked each side by projecting stacks with scrolled ashlar offsets, and 12-pane sashes (far left and far right). Asymmetrical garden front has similar architectural detailing, and a deep bay window, segmental in plan, with wooden balustrade. Bay has brick plinth and ashlar dressings. Above each of five 12-pane sashes are carved panels with featuring masks and scrolled decoration.

(Source:Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 17/11/06

Digital Images

Archive Records