Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE LEYS; WYASTONE LEYS

Site Details


NPRN 21157

Map Reference SO51NW

Grid Reference SO53091573

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class Domestic

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Leys, within the parish of Gararew, was originally built c1795 by S. O. Attley of London on a virgin site. The estate was sold it to Richard Blakemore c1820. The house was built sometime between 1821 and 1838 and became known as Wyastone Leys, the building is 2-3 storey with integral clock tower, turrets and ornate parapets. The estate included an extensive deer park and a Lodge. An observatory was built on the summit of Little Doward Hill. An 1861 sale catalogue mentions extensive pleasure grounds and gardens, with conservatories, vineries and a gardener's house. The deer park was abandoned and the observatory removed in the early 20th century. The mansion and some of the park are owned by Nimbus Records, and public concerts are sometimes held there.

Source: Historic Herefordshire On Line.

RCAHMW, 15th January 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records