St Collen's church, Llangollen was built in the 13th century and various additions and improvements carried out in succeeding centuries. Today the overall character of the building externally stems from the 1864-7 remodelling and enlargement by S Pountney Smith, architect of Shrewsbury. This includes the addition of a south aisle and aisled chancel. The mid 18th century west tower was however retained. It is a triple naved church, with a central west tower and chancel, and northwest vestry. Of various construction materials: the north aisle, primarily medieval in date, is of rubble, the tower of coursed rubble, and the 19th century work is of snecked rubble. The interior includes a splendid 6-bay hammerbeam roof with ornamental timber carvings which depict christian symbolism, plant life, beasts and images of ordinary folk. There is also a hatchment depicting the Hanoverian arms, and a finely carved sedilia and piscina.
Source: CADW listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 8 November 2007.