ST MARY'S CHURCH, CHEPSTOW;ST MARY'S PRIORY (BENEDICTINE)
Map Reference ST59SW
Grid Reference ST53599397
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Post Medieval
Site Description 1. Built in the Romanesque style, gable entry type. A prominent feature of this Church is the integral tower. Present status  : unknown
Church much restored in the 19th C. but incorporating features of the Medieval building, such as the fine Norman entrance arch.
2. Conventual church of Benedictine priory, founded by 1071, dissolved 1536, subsequently in use as the parish church.
Only the W arch appears to remain from this church, the remainder having been episodically rebuilt from the 18th c.
Excavations to the S, 1972 & 1974, revealed elements of the priory buildings.
(source Os495card; ST59SW47)
J.Wiles 28.02.03 3. Built in the Late 20th c style. Present status  : unknown
P.C.Tomlins, RCAHMW, 09.01.2003
4.Parish church originally Church of Benedictine Priory. Only remaining portion of early Norman fabric are west front and skeleton of nave. Central tower collapsed in 1701 and was rebuilt over west front in C18. Church heavily restored in 1841 and again in 1890. Constructed of part rubble and part ashlar with slate roof. Consists of W tower, nave, N and S transepts, chancel, and NE vestry. Two good tombs, one 1549 and one 1620. Many fragments of Norman work.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 17.09.2003
5. Wallpaintings; Royal Arms painted on wood (Victorian) noted by Pardoe in 1977. Source; undated notes by D.J. Roberts. 2004.04.16/RCAHMW/SLE