ST BRIDGET'S CHURCH, SKENFRITH
Map Reference SO42SE
Grid Reference SO45612034
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Site Description St Bridget's Church is a small medieval church built in several phases, the earliest phase is believed to date from the reign of King John (1199-1216), with aisles added before the fifteenth century. The tower walls are 5 feet thick and topped by a low 2-stage timber-framed "dovecote" belfry, the lower stage close-studded and the upper with two tiers of small square louvred openings and a pyramidal roof. The north aisle contains a very fine sixteenth century chest tomb of John Morgan (d. 1557), steward of the Duchy of Lancaster, last governor of the "Three Castles" (Grossmont, Skenfrith and White Castle), and MP for Monmouthshire Boroughs in 1553 and 1554. The lid has incised carving of the subject (a bearded man in cap and robe) together with his wife, surrounded by margin lettering. The church was repaired and restored in the later seventeenth century, and the nave and chancel roofs were replaced in 1896 by E.G. Davies. Further restoration was carried out 1909-1910.
Source: CADW listed bildings database.
RCAHMW, 1st February 2008.