Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, USK; ST MARY'S PRIORY CHURCH, USK

Site Details


NPRN 222262

Map Reference SO30SE

Grid Reference SO37880080

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Usk

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Period Medieval

Site Description Thought to have originally been an aisleless cruciform church, having a central, crossing tower and eastern apse, St Mary's church, Usk has now been extended to the west, has had a northern aisle added and lost its south and eastern limbs: the church is thought either to have been built de novo for the Benedictine priory (see Nprn20700), in about 1135, or to have been adapted as a conventual church at that time; it was extensively altered following the Reformation and the dissolution of the Priory. There are two elegant late Gothic porches, the one on the north side having a finely carved and moulded entrance arch and a two bay interior with decorative vaulting and stone foliage. There is a large organ dated 1862, and 18th century pulpit and altar rails.

(source Os495card; SO30SE32.1)

J.Wiles 03.02.05

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites