ST MARY THE VIRGIN CHURCH;LLANFAIR CILGEDIN
Map Reference SO30NE
Grid Reference SO35580868
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Site Description St Mary the Virgin is a simple medieval church, possibly mid to late 14th century, probably partly re-windowed in the 15th century, repaired in the 17th century, and largely rebuilt in 1873-6 by J D Sedding, the distinguished Arts and Crafts architect of London. The church has a wide nave leading to a narrower chancel, with a bell-cote on the western end and square-headed windows. The scheme of interior decoration was designed in 1888-90 by Heywood Sumner of the Art Workers' Guild, who executed the large and colourful scraffito panels inside. There are fragments of medeival glass in the the north est window. The church was made redundant in 1982 and was in a state of decay when listed in 1986. It has since been repaired 1986-8, and taken into care by the Friends of Friendless Churches.
Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.
RCAHMW, 1st February 2008.