Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DINGAT'S CHURCH, DINGESTOW

Site Details



NPRN 222710

Map Reference SO41SE

Grid Reference SO4572010410

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Mitchel Troy

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description St Dingat's church is located on the northern margins of the village close to the earthwork remains of Dingestow Castle. A church of the fourteenth century, it was almost entirely re-built, and slightly enlarged, in Gothic style, in the mid to late nineteenth century, the tower to designs of T.H.Wyatt in 1846, and the north transept by Richard Creed in 1887-8.
The church is built of sandstone and conglomerate ("pudding-stone") rubble brought to courses, except the tower which is regularly-coursed, with freestone dressings and graduated stone slate roofs. It consists of a relatively low nave with a south porch and an added transept to the east end of its north side, a lower chancel, and a three-stage west tower. The latter has diagonal buttresses, a cornice with sunk moulding, and stepped battlements. The gabled porch is built with medieval-style timber-framed superstructure. Windows are of several different kinds.
Inside, the simple nave has a good medieval-style five-bay crown-post collar-rafter roof, the rafters of the two west bays exposed but the others with wagon-roof board ceiling. The chancel has scored stucco lining to the walls, and two arch-braced roof trusses. The north transept (effectively the Bosanquet chapel) contains memorials to the Bosanquet family of Dingestow Court, from 1806 to 1975.
Outside the church is a cross (NPRN 306495).

Sources:
extracts from Cadw Listing description
RCAHMW air photos:945054/44-6

RCAHMW, 6 March 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites