Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JUSTINIANS CHURCH; LLANSTINIAN CHURCH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 231

Map Reference SM93SE

Grid Reference SM95323390

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Trecwn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Early Medieval, Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Justinian’s Church is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, which is divided into segments by springs and streams. The churchyard lies within a possible concentric outer enclosure (visible to the north as field boundaries) and is axial to a system of radiating boundaries, some of which are represented by field boundaries and some of which have been identified as cropmarks. The church is some 290m north of Parc-y-Castell iron age defended enclosure, and the two may have originally constituted a pair of kinship enclosures. The church was a parish church during the post-Conquest period, belonging to the Deanery of Pebidiog. In 1302 the benefice was appropriated by Bishop David Martin to Martin Robert de Trefdyn, the precentor’s vicar, to be annexed to the subchantorship of St Davids Cathedral in perpetuity; but reserving the right to present a perpetual curate to the church with provision for the curate from tithes. In 1786 the patron, Sir John Owen, was lessee of the tithes under the cathedral subchantor.

St Justinian’s Church is a Grade II listed building, retaining most of its medieval fabric and arrangements. Constructed of limestone rubble, it consists of 3-bayed nave, 3-bayed chancel and south transept (and skew passage), and west bellcote. The nave and chancel are thought to be 13th century in date. The vaulted south transept with large skew passage probably dates to the 14th century. The church was restored around 1800, when the windows were inserted and the south door rebuilt. The church was again restored in the later 19th century, when the interior was plastered, the nave was reroofed and seated with loose, oak panelled pews, and the chancel east bay was quarry-tiled. The church was again restored in the early-mid 20th century, when the remainder of the floors were quarry tiled. Most of the window frames were replaced at this time, and the west bay was given its present seating (copying that from the 19th century restiration). In 1994 the roofs were reslated.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
Cambria Archaeology, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer

N Vousden, 8 January 2018

Archive Records