MAIL COACH MONUMENT PILLAR, A40, CWM GOLEU, EAST OF LLANDOVERY
Map Reference SN83SW
Grid Reference SN8021334926
Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire
Old County Carmarthenshire
Type of Site COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT
Broad Class Commemorative
Period Post Medieval
Site Description The Mail Coach Pillar is a stone obelisk erected beside what is now the A40 road (nprn 419867) in 1841. Its purpose was to warn coachmen against drunkenness and to commemorate the mail coach accident on 19 December 1835 when the mail coach plunged over the edge of the road (prior to its realignment, see nprn 96197) due to the drunkenness of the driver. There were no fatalities. The monument was erected and designed, according to the inscription, by J. Bull, inspector of mail coaches, and made by John Jones of Llanddarog. Square in plan, it comprises an inscribed rectangular section on a base, a projecting plain string course above, surmounted by a gently tapering section with a pyramid top.
On 6 May 2008, about a metre of the tapering top section of the monument was noted as broken off and loose stone lying around the base.
RCAHMW, 20 May 2008.