Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 238

Map Reference SH47SW

Grid Reference SH4235573719

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llangristiolus

Type of Site CHURCH


Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Ceinwen is located on the north side of a lane to the west of Llangristiolus. It is a nineteenth-century church built to replace a medieval church but incorporates some earlier masonry in its fabric. It was built in a simple Decorated style in 1869 to designs of Kennedy & Rogers. The church is built of local rubble masonry with freestone dressings and has a modern slate roof with stone copings. It consists of three-bay nave with west gable bellcote and south-west gabled porch, and a shorter, narrower chancel with north vestry. The nave windows have pointed-arched surrounds and a mix of one, two and three trefoil-headed lights; the chancel has three trefoil-headed lights and cusped tracery in a pointed-arched frame with hoodmould. Inside, the nave roof has five bays with exposed rafters and arched-braced collared trusses with chamfered soffits, braces carried down to chamfered wallposts on plain corbels. The chancel has a similarly detailed roof of two bays. The chancel and sanctuary are each raised by three steps. The inner lintel of the south door is a re-used twelfth-century slab incised with a four-petal cross in a circle, the arms billeted and the shaft cut with joggled joints. The font and some gravestones are also of twelfth-century date.
Anglesey Inventory, 1937 [1960 reprint], p. 20-21.
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voeleker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.

RCAHMW, 5 January 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records