The Monnow Bridge is a three span stone bridge, dating from 1272, carrying a gatetower with portcullis dated 1297 to 1315. It was widened on both sides in the early nineteenth century, when the cut-waters are thought to have been refaced, but not extended, and pedestrian arches were cut through the flanking towers of the gatehouse. The bridge was fortified in 1839 and it is part of Monmouth Town Walls (NPRN 33168). The bridge has been photographed during RCAHMW aerial reconnaissance; RCAHMW AP94-CS 0441 and RCAHMW AP945062/63.
Claire Parry, RCAHMW, 29 July 2011.
OS495 card; SO51SW38
A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003