Abergavenny Bridge spans the River Usk and was formerly known as Tudor Bridge, because it was recorded as being built by Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and Baron of Abergavenny in the reign of Henry VI. The stone-built, it is a composite structure of three periods. The downstream arches and piers belong to the Medieval fifteenth century bridge, whilst those upstream are part of a tramroad bridge (1811) carrying the Llanfihangel Railway from the canal at Llanfoist. The roadway and parapet date from 1868 when the two bridges were combined. The bridge now carries the A4143.
The stone bridge has seven segmental and voussoired arches and buttresses. On the downstream side the arches are more acutely pointed, and the southernmost arch has been rebuilt with an arch ring and keystone. It has pointed cut waters and a ramped deck. At the Abergavenny end are two low flood arches with a stepped abutment between them. The bridge has been widened to the upstream side, which has more regularly shaped segmental arches with the cutwaters between stepped up beneath the rebuilt parapet. On the upstream side there are corbelled brackets, probably for the former parapet. The low parapets have flat coping.
A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003
Cadw listing database - S Fielding RCAHMW 17/01/2006
RCAHMW Aerial Photograph 945076/45