Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DOGET'S CHURCH, LLANDDOGET

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 244

Map Reference SH86SW

Grid Reference SH80596370

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llanddoged and Maenan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Doget's church, Llandoget is a late Medieval double-naved church within a raised, circular churchyard, implying a Celtic site. It was substantially remodelled in 1838-9 however, Some 16th century arched-light windows survive. It is of rubble construction with slate roofs; plain, over-hanging eaves and deep verges with simple curly bargeboards. There are round-arched entrances with sandstone ashlar voussoirs and projecting keystones. The church is a rare surviving example of a pre-Oxford Movement interior with its arrangement of tiered box seating, pews and pulpit. It has a glazed ocular skylight above the pulpit, with coloured glass and shallow canted plaster ceilings with boxed transverse beams carried on wooden, Jacobethan-style corbels. There is a Medieval octagonal font on a moulded base and set on a 3-tiered square plinth. There are also monuments to the Kyffyn family.

Source: Cadw listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records