A large area of redeposited waste material approximately 50m E-W by 150m, the site of the brickworks as shown on the 1901 OS.
Upper Brick Yard (SAM: MM296) was the main brickyard serving the ironworks at Blaenavon; the site, depicted on the map of 1814, may date from as early as 1788. It comprised drying sheds, brickmaking sheds and kilns together with clay pits and coal levels served by a network of tramroads and pathways. While the brickworks itself was demolished in the 1960s, substantial buried remains are considered likely to survive.
Source: HLCA 006 Blaenavon Ironworks and Upper Brick Yard.
Photographed during aerial reconnaissance by RCAHMW on 10th October 2008.
L. Osborne, 19th October 2012.