Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

UNIVERSITY OF GLAMORGAN, PONTYPRIDD CAMPUS

Site Details



NPRN 268151

Map Reference ST08NE

Grid Reference ST0823088550

Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Pontypridd

Type of Site UNIVERSITY

Broad Class EDUCATION

Period Modern

Site Description Forest House was built by the Crawshay family on the site of Fforest Isaf farm. In 1913 the South Wales and Monmouthshire School of Mines was established in the building. At that time John Calvert's winding and pumping beam engine (nprn 33717) of 1845 was moved to the site from the nearby Newbridge Colliery (nprn 403679). From 1940 the college was known as School of Mines and Technology; its status and size changed several times subsequently: Technical College from 1949, College of Technology from 1958, Polytechnic from 1970 and University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, from 1992.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 05 November 2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites