The Stoop Hill Cropmark Enclosure is a complex cropmark site set upon a low rise overlooking the Cadicot Levels (and now the M4), known also from limited geophysical survey. The form of the cropmark features has suggested a Roman origin and Roman material has been recovered from the vicinity. It has been suggested that this is a villa site.
The complex centres on a near rectangular ditched enclosure defined by a broad ditch roughly 45m north-east to south-west by 40m. A similar ditch defines an outer enclosure some 25m deep on the north-east and north-west sides, with at least two slighter ditches between the two circuits. The outer circuit is continued by a narrower ditch on the south-west where the outer enclosure is some 40m deep. A second slight ditch runs some 5.0m outside the outer circuit and there is a similarly defined D-plan 'annex' with a radius of about 15m, on the north-east side.
There is no trace of any substantial buildings and it is possible that the complex is a later Prehistoric type settlement enclosure or perhaps a ceremonial establishment of some kind. Some of the slighter ditches could be hedge trenches, possibly part of a formal garden arrangement.
Aerial coverage: CUAP CH050-1
RCAHMW AP945066/52-4; 965075/62; 965106/57
Sources: St Joseph in the Journal of Roman Studies 43 (1953), 95
Robinson (ed.) 'Biglis, Caldicot & Llandough', BAR British series 188 (1988), xiv-xv
Parkhouse & Lawler in Archaeology in Wales 30 (1990), 37-9
John Wiles, RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.