ST PADARN'S CHURCH, LLANBADARN FAWR
Map Reference SN58SE
Grid Reference SN59918101
Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion
Old County Cardiganshire
Community Llanbadarn Fawr (Ceredigion)
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Post Medieval
Site Description St Padarns is a fine, large thirteenth century church, featuring an aisless nave with transepts and central tower. It was extended around 1475 and was substantially restored in stages from 1867 to 1884 by John Pollard Seddon. Two medieval crosses are preserved within the church (NPRN 308695). All Saints Church, Llangorwen (NPRN 400456) was constructed in the 1840s as a chapel of ease to St Padarn's Church.
[ADDITIONAL:] The late-medieval chancel roof survives above Seddon's C19th roof. Tree-ring dating results with site description reported in Vernacular Architecture 42 (2011):
x. LLANBADARN FAWR, Parish Church of St Padarn (SN 5991 8101) Chancel roof
Felling dates: Spring 1489, Spring 1490, and Winter 1490/91
Principal rafters 1489(20¼C, 18C), 1488(21), 1472(H/S); Common rafters 1489(26¼C, 18¼C2, 16, 1482(8), 1459(H/S). Site Master: 1416-1489 PADARNS1 (t = 10.7 GWYDWN; 10.2 WALES97; 9.9 CEFNCAR1).
St Padarn’s is a large cruciform parish church with central tower of C13th origin. The roofs were renewed in the C19th apart from the wagon roof over the chancel. This roof was formerly boarded or plastered (as slots in the principals show) and is finely finished with bosses at the intersection of the moulded principals and purlins. This roof retains complete sapwood and a felling date of 1491 was obtained. A window inscription naming William Stafford Abbot of Vale Royal (1476-1516 with interruptions) confirms that the chancel was reconstructed at this time. Description in Thomas Lloyd et al., The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), pp. 494-7. Dating commissioned by RCAHMW. (RF Suggett/rcahmw/July 2011)