Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

DOLBELYDR;FFYNNON FFAIR;DOLBELYDIR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 27114

Map Reference SJ07SW

Grid Reference SJ03097095

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Cefnmeiriadog

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Probably 16th century and later, ruinated stone, 2 storeys and attic, slate roof, wood mullioned and transformed windows. Stone slit in west wall to stairs.

Dendro-chronology gives a date of circa 1578.
G.M. Edwards 25/06/2002

A seat of a branch of the Salusburys of Lleweni by the 14th century, and former home of Welsh grammarian Henry Salesbury, who wrote his "Grammatica Britannica" there in 1593 and for whom the current building was probably constructed. Front constructed in coursed square local limestone, with sides and rear in rubblestone. The house was used as a tenanted farmhouse throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, and was last occupied in 1910. The property is now owned by the Landmark Trust, and was fully restored in 2003. (Information from a Castlering Archaeology watching brief report, by Pat Frost, 07/2003).

G.M. Edwards 14/05/2004

It is a storeyed end-chimney house of roughly-dressed local limestone rubble construction, formerly with a small slate roof with slab-coped and kneelered gable parapets, and tall chimneys of finely dressed stone with original moulded capping. There are off-centre entrances, the east side with a fine cyclopean arched lintel although the door itself is missing. To the right is the original long hall window with seven diagonally set oak mullion and transomed lights. There are further similar windows to the left of the entrance and to the first floor, some fragmentary. There is 18th or 19th century external stepped access to the first floor of the left gable with stone steps and slab coping and a contemporary bowed oven projection to the left of this.

The interior has stop chamfered ceiling beam, joists, and stopped chamfered fireplace lintels. Part of an original post-and-panel partition screen survives, retaining interesting Napoleonic period graffeti. There is a three bay roof of arch-braced collar truss type.
(Source; Cadw listing description) RCAHMW S Fielding 15/06/2005

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources