GWYNFAEN

Site Details



NPRN
271353
Map Reference
SH24SE
Grid Reference
SH2807842204
Unitary (Local) Authority
Maritime
Old County
Maritime
Community
Maritime
Type of Site
WRECK
Broad Class
Maritime
Period
Modern

Site Description

Archaeological remains associated with the loss of this vessel are not confirmed as present at this location, but may be in the vicinity.

Event and Historical Information:
The GWYNFAEN was a small iron-hulled steamship built by J Jones & Co, Liverpool, in 1887. Technical and configuration specifications are given as 279gt, 89nt; 139ft 8inlnegth x 20ft 3in breadth x 9ft 9in depth; 1 deck, 3 bulkheads, boat deck 7ft, forecastle 28ft; screw propulsion powered by a single boiler linked to a compound engine producing 54hp; machinery aft. At time of loss on 10 October 1904, the vessel was owned by H Lupton & Kneeshaw of Liverpool. The vessel had left Port Nant, Caernarfon, under the command of master W Owen for a voyage that was to have ended in Birkenhead. However, the vessel ran onto Beacon rock off Porth Dinllaen and became stranded.

Sources include:
Board of Trade Wreck Return 1904 Appendix C Table 1 pg123 (613)
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002
Lloyds Register of British and Foreign Shipping, 1 July 1903 - 30 June 104, number 769 in G

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, April 2010.

    Share this page: -