Hendre'r-ywydd Uchaf is a single-storey timber-framed medieval house with four cruck trusses, dating from around 1470-1500. The tie-beams of each cruck truss extend outwards beyond the blades and hold the wall plate which is notched into it. A close wattle of thin oak rods is woven around flat, hewn-oak stakes forming a strong foundation for the wheat straw thatch. The walls are timber-framed and have wattle-and-daub panels between the framework. The floors are of beaten earth, with stone slabs in the doorways. The house has living quarters to one end, and a cowhouse to the other. The cowhouse is divided into two by a cruck truss, with each section having its own entrance. The house itself consists of a hall, bed-chamber and service room. The hall contains the fireplace, the smoke from which must have escaped through the two opposite unglazed windows. The house was dismantled and re-erected at the Welsh Folk Museum, St. Fagans. During the dismantling, rough-cast plaster and rough weather-boarding was removed, together with the corrugated iron roof.
Source: DE/DOM/SJ16SW, from an article by the Welsh Folk Museum
J. Archer, RCAHMW, 29.09.2004