Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 273170

Map Reference SM30NE

Grid Reference SM3655106706

Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime

Old County Maritime

Community Maritime

Type of Site WRECK

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Modern

Site Description This record consists of a documentary reference to a shipping casualty which has been assigned to the maritime named location OFF THE SMALLS pending more information which may allow a more precise location for the loss to be assigned.

Event and Historical Information:
The FRIENDSHIP was a 37gt sailing smack, built in 1905 and registered at Brixham. It was owned at time of loss by Mrs C Jenkerson of Milford Haven. The same u-boat which caught the ZIRCON (see NRPN 274606) also sank the FRIENDSHIP on the same day, 13 February 1917. The attack resulted in the loss of all four crew members.

Sources include:
HMSO, British Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-18 and 1939-45, pg114
Goddard, T, 1983, Pembrokeshire Shipwrecks, pg104
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, April 2008.