Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CARDIFF CASTLE

Site Details



NPRN 274001

Map Reference ST26NW

Grid Reference ST2252769400

Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime

Old County Maritime

Community Maritime

Type of Site WRECK

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Post Medieval

Site Description This record consists of a documentary reference to a shipping casualty which has been assigned to the maritime named location CARDIFF GROUNDS pending more information which may allow a more precise location for the loss to be assigned.

Event and Historical Information:
The CARDIFF CASTLE was built as a paddle-tug in 1865 by John Payne, Bristol. Technical and configuration specifications are given as 57nt; 77ft length x 16ft breadth; official number 50436. In 1880, the tug had been converted to sail and rigged as a ketch. At time of loss, the vessel was owned by Mrs R Shelton, Bristol, and registered at Cardiff. The CARIDFF CASTLE was on passage from Barry docks to Bristol under the command of C Bell on 15 April 1897. The yacht encountered a westerly force 6 gale and ran aground on the Cardiff Grounds.

Sources include:
Board of Trade Wreck Return 1897 Appendix C Table 1 p142 (581)
Larn and Larn shipwreck Database 2002
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register 1881-1885, Glamorgan Archives DRBS1/5, folio 121
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register Transaction Registers 1871-1875, folio 27, Glamorgan Archives DRBS2/2

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, January 2009.