Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BARATANACH

Site Details


NPRN 274159

Map Reference ST16NE

Grid Reference ST1666367257

Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime

Old County Maritime

Community Maritime

Type of Site WRECK

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Modern

Site Description Archaeological remains associated with the loss of this vessel are not confirmed as present at this location, but may be in the vicinity.

Event and Historical Information:
The BARATANACH was a wooden pilot vessel or cutter built by William Williams in 1879 at St Ives (official number 81779). Technical and configurations specifications are given as 15.49tons; 41ft 5in length x 13ft 3in breadth x 6ft in depth; 1 deck, 1 mast, rigged as a cutter, square stern, carvel built. The cutter had served as Cardiff Pilot Cutter number 12, and during its working life was associated with at least three Cardiff pilots as owners - Thomas Rosser, E Parry and W S Williams. The pilot cutter had been onshore twice before, at Penarth in 1883 and again in 1903 near the Promenade Pier at Cardiff. In 1883, the hulk was sold by Thomas Rosser to George Hart, and by George Hart to Frederick George Hodges a shipwright at Penarth. The BARATANACH was re-registered at Cardiff in December 1884 by the pilot Edward Parry. Shares in the BARATANACH were mortgaged to members of the Cardiff Pilotage Board to secure loans (e.g. John McConnochie and John le Boulanger). The ownership of the cutter was transferred to William Samuel Williams, through a mortgage arranged with Edward Parry's wife, Mary Maria Parry. In September 1903, when the vessel sank near the Promenade Pier, W S Williams made over ownership to the salvager, diver James Binding (see SWIFT NPRN 274098). James Binding then passed ownership to his wife Mary and George Binding. At time of final loss, the vessel was solely owned by George Binding of Cardiff and was reportedly carrying gun powder. The cutter sank at its moorings off Sully Island on 27 March 1916. The ship's registry was closed on 17 March 1917 with the note that the vessel was to be broken up.

Sources include:
Board of Trade Wreck Return 1916 Part II Appendix A pg21 (2)
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002
Merchant Navy List 1913, pg642 (B)
Particulars of pilot cutters in the Cardiff pilotage service 1 March 1889, Glamorgan Archives D/D/PIL 1/10/26
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register 1866-1881, Glamorgan Archives DRBS1/4, folio 307
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register 1881-1885, Glamorgan Archives DRBS1/5, folio 179
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register Transactions register 1881 -1891, Glamorgan Archive Service DRBS 2/13, folio 103
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register Transactions Register 1892 - 1928, Glamorgan Archive Service DRBS 2/14, folio 158

Deanna Groom, RCAHMW, January 2009.

Archive Records

Online Resources