Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANGWYFAN HOSPITAL;NORTH WALES SANATORIUM

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 27417

Map Reference SJ16NW

Grid Reference SJ1266

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llandyrnog

Type of Site HOSPITAL, SANATORIUM

Broad Class HEALTH AND WELFARE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The neo-Georgian hospital was built between 1918-1920 as one of two tuberculosis sanatoria built and operated by the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association - the other being Talgarth. Llangwyfan Hospital was closed in 1981. The main building is brick and roughcast, with pediment-like gables at either end, and six hipped dormers across its frontage.

Since the 1980s the site has been owned by Mental Health Care Uk, and is now known as Alexander House, Highfield Park.

Source: Edward Hubbard, from `Houses of the Welsh Countryside'
J. Archer, RCAHMW, 27.09.2004

Digital Images

Archive Records