Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVIDS CHURCH, CAERGEILIOG

Site Details



NPRN 27514

Map Reference SH37NW

Grid Reference SH3105078416

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanfair-yn-neubwll

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description St David's church is located on the north side of the A5, on a rocky eminence in the centre of the village.
With the development of the A5 Caergeiliog village grew and it became a custom for the curates of Rhoscolyn to lodge there. This was because the Rector of Rhoscolyn was also Rector of Llanfihangel (now the R.A.F. Valley Church) and Llanfair yn Neubwll, and the people of Caergeiliog attended those churches rather than Bodedern. At the turn of the century the Rev. Annwyl Roberts was curate and he was responsible for the building of St. David's. It was opened on February 26th 1912 by the Bishop of Bangor. A late 'Arts & Crafts' building, the church was originally built as a mission hall with a simple nave and chancel plan. A dual purpose church, the sanctuary had doors that closed it off from the rest of the church to enable concerts or functions etc. to be held in the nave.
The church is now redundant and up for sale (2013).
Sources:
http://valley-parish.org.uk/history_c.htm
http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Towns/Caergeiliog.htm

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 7 November 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records