St Dwynwen's is a ruined church on the small craggy isle of Llanddwyn. This was a cruciform church and it shows only early sixteenth century architectural detail. The southern part of a rounded churchyard is depicted on the OS County series 1st edition (Anglesey XXIV.4 1889), on which its northern part appears to have been displaced by later fields or enclosures.
The church consists of a relatively short nave, trancepts and a relatively large chancel. The walls are of stone rubble with sandstone dressings. With the exception of a plinth on a fragment of the nave walling, the only detail preserved belongs to the chancel. Here the east and south windows are preserved, but lack their tracery. The stair turret in the north trancept return presumably led to the rood loft.
The cruciform plan is unusual in the region.
The church is associated with the ruined house, traditionally that of the priest, some 50m to the south-west (NPRN 15726).
Ffynnon Dowynwen (NPRN 32158) was located nearby.
The feast of St. Dwynwen was (& is?) the Welsh equivalent of St Valentine's Day
Source: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 119
John Wiles 02.08.07