Constructed 1794 by Thomas Dadford as a horse-operated edge railway linking collieries and ironworks at Beaufort with Glangrwyne Forge (SO 2395 1613) on the Usk. Much of this tramway is now under minor roads, particularly the lane running from the canal wharf at Gilwern to Maesygwartha.
Glangrwyney (section) : a 2.1 km edge-rail system, later plateway. From Gilwern wharf to forge on N bank of R Usk to transport pig. Mostly closed pre-1833 and totally by 1908. SO 244145 to SO 239162.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 01 November 2007.