Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CLYDACH RAILROAD

Site Details


NPRN 276001

Map Reference SO21SW

Grid Reference SO202122

Unitary (Local) Authority Blaenau Gwent

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Brynmawr

Type of Site TRAMWAY

Broad Class Transport

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Constructed 1794 by Thomas Dadford as a horse-operated edge railway linking collieries and ironworks at Beaufort with Glangrwyne Forge (SO 2395 1613) on the Usk. Much of this tramway is now under minor roads, particularly the lane running from the canal wharf at Gilwern to Maesygwartha.
Glangrwyney (section) : a 2.1 km edge-rail system, later plateway. From Gilwern wharf to forge on N bank of R Usk to transport pig. Mostly closed pre-1833 and totally by 1908. SO 244145 to SO 239162.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 01 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites