SITE OF WIREWORKS AT WHITEBROOK
Map Reference SO50NW
Grid Reference SO531064
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Community Trellech United
Type of Site FORGE
Broad Class Industrial
Period Post Medieval
Site Description This early wireworks site was established around 1600, shortly after water-powered wire drawing was brought to Britain in 1566 by the Germans who operated from Tintern initially and subsequentlly. It is thought that wire working may have ceased at Whitebrook about 1720. The site was identified by Professor Gordon Tucker in 1973 based on field evidence and a map of 1772. The site appears to have been supplied with water by a leat over a mile long from the White Brook.
Visible remains include ruined buildings (possibly later dwellings) and a series of terraces on the steep hillside. A walled set of steps exits the site up hill to the west.
Source: Cadw scheduling description.